Monday, August 18, 2014

Find ways to lower dental health care cost

(Photo: AP File)
Most of my adult life I have not had dental care. As a result, I have experienced severe pain that turn into bigger problems.
The only time I see the dentist is when I am desperate for relief and have to use money I cannot afford to spare from our household budget. I've got used to tooth problems and live with the pain because I don't have the money and the costs of dental care are ridiculous. Two hundred dollars and up to have a tooth pulled.
I cannot afford out of pocket to have dental insurance. Government health plans for low income people do not provide dental. When the pain is the worst, I have to take a day off work (that I can't afford, I don't have paid sick days) and go to a regular doctor to get antibiotics for the infection from the bad teeth. This cycle repeats itself over and over.
My wife and I make sure our children brush their teeth every day and since in Vermont, children's dental is covered, they get regular check-ups and cleanings. They do not have the problems that we do.
I am speaking out now because to me ,it seems like only the elite can afford dental care and many of us don't have paid sick days to use when our teeth problems have to be taken care of.
A bill that allows a new type of oral health provider, a licensed dental practitioner, would help me and others in my situation a lot. It would decrease the wait to see a dentist. It would give me somewhere to go when I'm in pain other than the emergency room. It would make dental care more affordable and more accessible for families like mine.
I urge my elected representatives to listen to the people in need of this important care. There are many of us.

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment