Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dental Hygienist Donates Kidney to Patient




North Augusta, S.C. -An ordinary teeth cleaning at the dentist office turned into a life changing relationship. A local hygienist is giving the gift of life to one her patients. 


From first glance, it may seem like an unlikely match, but the close friendship between these two people is unmistakable. It’s been a long journey for both of them with a few bumps in the road, and this week Corey Hymon will get his life back. 

“Just seeing his road and knowing his history, and knowing that for whatever reason I am going to help him,” said Pam Ochiltree. 

“When Pam came along, she’s just the perfect one, she is the perfect one,” said Corey Hymon. 

A blessing felt on the both ends of the deal. 

Pam Ochiltree has been cleaning Corey Hymon’s teeth for more than four years, and this week she’s doing more than just giving him a brighter smile, she’s saving his life.

“She just one day out of the clear blue said hey can I take the test to see if I’m match, see if I’m compatible,” said Hymon. 

Hymon was diagnosed with kidney failure around the same time he met Ochiltree. She kept up with his medical history through visits, and found out he needed a new kidney.

“I was cleaning his teeth, and I’m not going to say I heard an audible voice, but I felt very strongly that God was saying give him your kidney,” said Ochiltree. 

“I was definitely shocked…when I walked out of here after getting my teeth cleaned, I called my wife immediately, and I said you’re not going to believe what just happened,” said Hymon.

It had been a long journey for Hymon, three patients matched with him for a donation from more than a dozen that went through testing, but the three that matched ended up not being able to donate.

Ochiltree was preparing to give Hymon her kidney when she got a call from her sister. 

“A few months later, she called and said don’t give your kidney away, my kidney is failing, and I called Corey and said I am so sorry, but my sister needs a kidney and he was like I totally understand it’s your family, go for it,” said Ochiltree. 

The test to see if she could donate her kidney to her sister was not a match.

“I think I’m meant to donate to Corey, I think that’s why it didn’t work,” said Ochiltree. 

After more months of testing and losing 20 pounds, Ochiltree was approved to donate her kidney in January.

“Everybody keeps asking me are you nervous? And I said no I am totally at peace,” said Ochiltree. 

“It means that we are now paired forever, so she can’t go anywhere, I love her so we are stuck together,” said Hymon. 

The surgery is taking place on Friday at Georgia Regents University.


Source: 

No comments:

Post a Comment